Friday, July 25, 2008

Tales from the Pediatrician's Office...

Doctors crack me up.
When I say "doctors," I mean Brylie's pediatrician.
He's a nice guy - somewhat of a spazz - but a nice guy, nonetheless.
I've learned to only share some of the details with him - never the whole truth - why does he need to know things that might get me in trouble?

He asks, "How often is she eating?"
I reply, "As often as she wants...?"
Him: "How much does she eat?"
Me: "Umm..." (how am I supposed to know?!)
Him: "Does she sleep through the night?"
Me: "Yes" (what I mean by Yes is 'she sleeps in her crib 'til around 4 when she wakes up and I immediately put her in bed with me and Brandon and nurse her back to sleep. I do this mostly for me because I missed her and I don't care if that makes me a bad mother - I'm doing it.)

Once I made the mistake of telling him that I do this and his response was, "Ok, so our goal for the next few weeks is to get her sleep ALL through the night..."

Our goal? Am I supposed to call him in the middle of the night so he can come over and comfort my screaming baby?
Maybe that's his goal, but my goal is to sleep.

What a funny guy... he's all jokes.

What I do love about him is his thoroughness. That man knows my baby's body better than I do. But what I don't love about him is his inability to 'beat around the bush' when necessary.

So yesterday, we go in for her 6 month well baby exam, and he informs us that she has a heart murmur. Straight up - just like that. No "I'm sure there's nothing to worry about - this kind of thing is very common...." Nothing like that.
So, I immediately freak out (of course) because all I know about heart murmurs is that they involve the heart (a vital organ) and that sometimes people need those replaced (and images of the St. Jude commercials pop into my head).
He gives us the card of a pediatric cardiologist in San Antonio and tells us to make an appointment ASAP. That does not help with the freaking out.

So, what do I do?
I make the appointment. And I cry all day. And I hold Brylie and cherish every movement and sound she makes. And I google 'heart murmurs,' and freak out some more.
Then I talk to Sarah (a friend who's a nurse) and she tells me that heart murmurs are common, almost always mean nothing, and that Brylie's pedi is well-known as the 'resident spazz' who orders lots and lots of tests (unnecessarily at times) just to covers his bases.

So can I blame the guy for trying to be a good doctor? I do like that he's thorough - but does he have to freak me out like that? We're still keeping that cardiologist appointment just because now I need to know for sure.

But...
I'm not freaking out anymore - I just wish that appointment wasn't two months away so I wouldn't have to think about it until then.

8 comments:

Sara_Smiles said...

Mari,
Not that it's much comfort... but... we've done the San Antonio route twice with little Owen (for his kidneys). It'll be okay, I'm sure. Plus, if the appointment is not for another two months then I am convinced that it must not be too bad to make them rush you in ASAP. Yah...that's what makes sense to me.

crys said...

i agree with sara. of course, if i were in your shoes, i would be freaking out also!

on the plus side, we all know what prayer can do. in two months, that doctor in san antonio will say, "why did you make this appointment? there's nothing there."

i'm believing!

Meems said...

Believing is a good word to use hear. Believing they will treat you like you were silly to go all the way to SA when she is perfectly healthy.

team D said...

I love the way that you talk about your doctor. I remember that I would just tell them as close as I could to what they wanted to hear. My ped. always would scoop out all the bruises on the girls. I think she thought it was her goal to rid the world of children with ouches. They would be fine until the day before and ever time they would get a cut or scratch the day before the doctor visit. I felt so bad and I would tell her see just learning to walk.
We do know the creator of all humans. He is able to fix and heal everything because of his strips on the cross. So I am praying for you and her to be at peace and have everything turn out fine.

Bethany Hernandez said...

what would we do without sarah? i love her!

Wendy said...

I understood that 7 hours of sleeping in a row WAS sleeping through the night. That's all my baby did at 6mths.

Meems said...

I meant here, not hear.

SarahMc said...

Disclaimer: You should always do what your doctor says or get a second oppinion from another doctor. Tests may seem un-necessary to a nurse...but the doctor is always right...haha. I do love that the appointment is in 2 months.