Monday, July 14, 2008

Growing Up

I'm feeling the need to grow up. And I don't like it.

Every morning I open my closet and I really really want to put on my hole-y jeans and an old thrift store t-shirt. All that stuff reminds me of the old days when Brandon and I were in College Station, dating, and hanging out with our friends all night...and then waking up (sometimes) for class at 8 a.m. We would all go to the vintage stores looking for some 10 cent "gems" and sometimes get in arguments about who saw it first.

If a fantastic thrift store shirt happened to be a size medium, I would have to hide it in the bottom of my drawer or else Brandon would snatch it and try to squeeze his big, giant, manly muscles into it (Love you babe).

I have this one t-shirt that my friend, Laura, begs me for everytime she sees me in it. It's a "YMCA Father/Daughter Indian Princess" t-shirt that I found at the Catholic Charities Thrift Store for a quarter. It's a Youth Large, but I guess I stretched it out enough over the years, and it's full of tiny holes. It's awesome. Brandon loves it on me, too, so I still wear that one. I'll probably be buried in it...but Laura would just dig me up.
I love those clothes and I just can't get rid of them.
That would be officially becoming a grown-up.
I'm just not ready for blazers and slacks and high heels, at least not on a daily basis. I'd better end up being self-employed.
I guess it's all a generational thing. I'm just from the generation that ok'd vintage clothes in college.
The more I think about it, the more I think I'll just be a grown-up that sometimes wears thrift store t-shirts...

(For those of you who were hoping to read something insightful or introspective, I'm sorry.)

The amazingly awesome Indian Princess t-shirt.




















2 comments:

Bethany Hernandez said...

this is exactly how i feel! i would wear jeans to work every day if they would let me. maybe i should just try it and see what happens...

mwaterwall said...

I just happened to watch Oprah yesterday and they talked about mommies who did not NEED a make-over but DESERVED one!! Yeah, right, don't try to sugar coat that one Oprah snoprah!!!! Anyway, they talked about getting rid of mommy jeans and other pieces of apparel that are just not becoming to our mommy figures!
First of all, I AM a mommy so I want my wardrobe to reflect that to a certain extent, second of all if anyone were to tell me a DESERVED/DESPARETLY NEEDED (they both mean the same thing)a make-over I would crawl into a box and wait for Jesus to come back, and with a pouty face I would say to myself, He thinks I am perfect just the way I am, and third of all, scrubing toilets in designer jeans and a $500 trench coat laced with pearls is not my idea of true motherhood, so what do I really have to say about all this? Keep it real girlfriend, this is the season of your life, so if you want to wear jeans and t-shirts from the past that all scream throw me away then do it, you can get away with it now because one day when your kids all grown and gone, you will have nothing better to do than to look good in non-mommy apparel.
I don't even know if this comment really anything to do with your post but it sure felt good to air my feelings about yesterdays Oprah show!!