Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Remember that weekend I was excited about...?

Ok, let me just start by saying that I am already at the point at which I can laugh about all of this...



So on Sunday, Brandon and I loaded up Brylie and Gracie (the dog) and drove down to my parents ranch in the hill country. They told us they would keep the baby while Brandon and I went to Schlitterbahn on Monday.

We're driving out in the middle of nowhere, in broad daylight, and we hit a deer. No joke. Actually, it hit us...it slammed into the drivers' side door and flew over the top of our car. There was no significant damage to our car, but this is the 4th deer we have hit since we've been married. That's a lot of deer accidents in 2 1/2 years. So we weren't too thrilled about that.



Then, we wake up the next morning and drive what we thought was going to be 2 hours to New Braunfels. Nope. 2 hours of road construction later, we've only travelled 45 miles. Fantastic.

Finally, we get to Schlitterbahn. We're so stinkin' excited to be there. We drive up to the parking lot and we're met with a large sign that reads, "Parking lot full. Please proceed to west side parking lot."

Ok, for those of you who don't know how Schlitterbahn is set up, that means 'drive a few more miles down the road to the not-as-fun part of the waterpark and tram your way back to the cool kids area.' So we did.

And that one was full too.

I'm thinking, "It's MONDAY, people! Don't you have jobs?!?"

Finally, we found a ghetto-looking parking lot that we could park in. It looked like a parking lot that Schlitterbahn rents when they run out of other parking lots.

Brandon asks, "Should we just got back into San Antonio and hang out for the day?"

I say, "No, you've been looking forward to this, let's just do it."

So, we trekked up to the ticket booth, paid $78.00 (with the coupon) and get on the tram to go to the cool part of Schlitterbahn.

When we get there, we get in line for the Master Blaster. An hour and a half later, we slide out of the last tube of the Master Blaster and say, "That wasn't worth the wait."

Man.

After a few trips around the wave pool, we had lunch, walked around to find a short line, couldn't find one, trammed back to the other park, walked around some more, and then left.

I was going to attempt to earn back some of the $78 by selling my wristband to one of the latecomers in the parking lot, but Brandon told me that was unethical and dishonest.



So, we went back to the ranch...

And the next day, we had a lot of fun hanging out with Brylie and my parents...free fun. We built a deck at their house and swam in the swimming hole. It really was awesome.



So, the moral of this story is: fun is free, not $78.

And, don't worry, I'm pretty sure the deer was able to just shake it off.

1 comment:

Meems said...

hehe. Isn't that how it always goes when you get a day out. Thanks for sharing, that reminded me of a few trips we've taken.