Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Magic Shoppe

So in my Group Counseling class, we've been learning about different ways to conduct group therapy sessions. This last technique was Psychotherapy, or more specifically, Psychodrama.
(I promise this story gets better, hang with me).

One particular method within the category of Psychodrama is called "The Magic Shoppe." I don't know why it's spelled with a "pe" instead of with a "p" - maybe we're trying to class it up a bit.
Anyway, the way it works is there are 30 different positive personality traits to choose from. The group members can pick any one of those that they wish they had and trade in a negative one in exchange for it. For the next week, they use the positive trait and not the negative trait.
The theory behind it is, they will see how much better life is with the positive one and without the negative one and try to continue living that way.

Can you guess what I chose? Remember, I'm the girl who has the Nike Plus wristband, the shoes, and the desire to run, but for some reason can't get my tired booty out of bed at 6 a.m. to actually run.
I chose "will power."
And I gave up "my desire to please everyone by taking on a million and one things that I don't possibly have the time to do."
So this is yet another effort to get myself movin'.

Yikes...accountability.
If this doesn't work, I don't know what will.

1 comment:

Jason and Jenna Jones said...

LOL... awww. I feel ya girl. Hey, have you ever taken the personality test and seen where you fall? Melancholic, Sanguine, Phlegmatic or Sanguine? It's an interesting study... and pretty right on.